I confess that I was one of the critics who keep complaining that despite no dearth of money, Indian film "woods" were not churning out meaningful and/or impacting movies. That was till "Eklavya". That movie, I think, in many ways is a fine example for both the reigning and the aspiring film makers in India. A tiny but powerful enough plot made into a masterpiece by fine acting and finer directing. Then I watched "Gulaal". This movie almost blew my mind away with the sinister plot and hauntingly disturbing screenplay. You cannot ignore movies from a talent of such kind and calibre.
Which is why I was very interested in watching "That Girl in Yellow Boots". And it did not disappoint me. If you are the kind of person who admires Quentin Tarantino's movies like me or a person who appreciates movies like "Hostel" (despite the gross content) just for the incredible idea behind the plot, you will admire this movie with the same fervor. Never before on Indian film canvas might there be a movie so bold and disturbing. The climax is so twisted yet so powerful that it haunts your mind for quite some time. That is an incredible feat to achieve and kudos mainly to Kalki who is not only the very impressive protagonist but also the brain behind the plot.
Child abuse, corruption and sexual exploitation are all themes explored and dealt with by indian film makers to the death. But TGIYB incorporates all these in such a disquietingly subtle way that its hard to ignore them. It would be very unfair on my part to divulge anything more on the plot.
I agree this might not be a movie you may want to watch to cheer yourself up because of the brazenly frank and frighteningly honest portrayal of characters. But I do stress that it is a movie that SHOULD be watched for the sheer genius and boldness of Anurag Kashyap and Kalki. I honestly thank them for heralding a new age movie genre in India. So go ahead and watch it. It is absolutely fine if it disturbs you because that only means it is capable of stirring up something deep inside you that is normally and almost always dormant.
No comments:
Post a Comment