When I bought Infamous-1 last year, I had absolutely no idea about the game, let alone expectations. So the BD just lay there in the disc stack for quite some time. It took a really bad day at work followed by a very bad movie in PVR (Komaram Puli - for all the curious folks) to prod me to try the game.
So I started the game at 9:30PM with a bad mood and an even worse temper. By the time I was too tired to keep my eyes open, it was 2AM and I was in LOVE with the game. This game justified my decision of buying a PS3 (and subsequently all the petty arguments I had with my wife due to the long hours of game play). In fact, this game defined "gaming" to me. I would rank the climax of this game among the top 5 of all time great Hollywood endings.
And then started my wait for the second part. I was checking all kinds of sites and blogs for any whiff of info on when the sequel would release. After an agonizing wait of almost 9 months, the sequel finally arrived (had placed an advance order in Landmark with a waiting period of 3 days). As soon as I was back home, I went at it with the same gusto I had when I got my hands on the last Harry Potter book (I was up at 4AM and was in the queue at Landmark till 6:30AM to get my copy of the book!)
So started my second journey as Cole on a Friday evening. By the time I was too tired to keep my eyes open, it was 00:45 and I was MIGHTY disappointed with the game. Not that the game is bad but maybe I just had expected a bit too much. After finishing off the game on good karma, I was further more disappointed not only because the game was too short (finished the game in roughly 16hrs of game play as against around 25hrs for the first part) but the climax was also one of the most diffident endings one could ever imagine.
Agreed I would have to shave off some negative points due to the "high expectations" factor, but the game didn't give me any reasons to like it, let alone love it. People who haven't played the first would no doubt like the sequel due to the amazing new powers Cole can acquire and the innumerable (but disappointingly short) side-missions packed in but there's no denying that Infamous2 just lacks the soul, the spirit, the zing factor and ultimately an awesome story line to keep the player interested in it. Sorry all the folks at Sucker Punch, but you all made a sorry piece of a circus instead of a worthy successor.
No comments:
Post a Comment