Friday, July 1, 2011

Transformers - The Dark of the Moon

!!Might contain spoilers!!

So I put myself in the theater for the latest and supposedly last installment of the Transformers series, hoping yet again that Michael Bay won't disappoint me this time. The guy had exceedingly become narcissistic about his best talent - blowing all sorts of things up and showing the glory in it, all the while forgetting that a movie needs sanity in the plot, even if in tiny portions. This time though, its a bit different as he has graduated from an irritating little scamp to a teenager who has just hit puberty (no offense John Woo, Paul Greengrass and co).

Food for thought - How many movies have forced you to make your mind stop "logical" thinking and still thoroughly enjoy the rampage on the screen? I mean just how many times have you caught you telling yourself - "Hey, all this makes no sense but why am I enjoying it?" How many times have you really marveled at the genius of a prank played on you?

With the "incredible and expensive" waste of a movie that was called "Revenge of the Fallen" behind him, Michael Bay still managed to get the whole world waiting for what he had in store for Witwicky and all the bots. And boy he delivers, and how!! If you are a fan of movies like Matrix, V for Vendetta, 300, Watchmen, etc., just for the fabulously choreographed fights, you are going to LOVE this movie, even more so because the fighters here are all non-humans. The first encounter between the Autobots and the Decepticons is one of the best fights orchestrated in movie history ever (even though Optimus Prime is not in the fight) and am not exaggerating.

There are scores of new Transformers thrown at you but the Sentinel Prime, however grabs the key role in the movie, which has its pros and cons. Pros being the Sentinel adds a bit of sanity to the plot (at last!) and his fighting skills are seriously worthy of envy. Cons being Megatron is ridiculously side-lined (so is Optimus to some extent) and the movie gets too melodramatic just before the climax.

The movie has its bad moments (in abundance) - a couple of the penultimate combats seem protracted although they don't bore you. Hmm... I can't seem to recollect any more negatives, which I think is a good thing!

The plot of this movie is by far the best of the three although definitely not something you can compare to Christopher Nolan or Quentin Tarantino's movies. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is a welcome respite for me as I could not stand the dumb sight of Megan Fox on the screen (apologies to all the fans!). Well, to sum it up, the movie is a lot like a cocktail invented by James Bond - the recipe might sound tempting but no guessing works in how it might taste. You actually have to taste it yourself. So I would dare say do yourself a favor by watching this movie in 3D.

2 comments:

  1. When did you become a professional writer? You vocabulary is changed so much from I last knew!! Cool!! You should write more often..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take you meant that change as a good thing and a compliment, thank you!

    ReplyDelete